Dog Eye Drops
Eye Drops for Dogs
Dog eye drops are often used to keep your dog’s eyes healthy and safe from damage. They are a necessity for good eyesight and ocular clarity for your dog.
Specialty eye drops can target issues like cataracts, severe infections, and ocular degeneration. However, there are no one-size-fits-all eye drops. They range from saline eye drops to ointments. Saline eye drops are a great irrigation solution for common allergies or irritation from dirt, smoke, or dust. They can help flush out particles and moisturize the eyes.
Normally, your dog’s eyes should be clear and bright without discharge. Examine your dog’s eyes regularly. Their eyeballs should be bright and clear, the base third eyelid should be retracted and pupils should be equal and reactive.
If you notice discharge, this can be a sign of an allergy, or eye infection or even glaucoma. If the discharge is yellow-green or pus-like, it could be a sign of a more serious eye infection such as conjunctivitis. When you are unsure or if something looks awry, it is best that you contact your veterinarian immediately.
Table of Contents
Purpose of Dog Eye Drops
Dog eye drops have formulations that include antioxidants and nutrients and specific ingredients which can help to treat the following conditions:
1. Dry eyes which can be due to aging or it could be some dogs are born with only one tear duct as such the eyes are often dry. The dry eyes can collect debris that could not be removed of through normal tear action. Hence, lubricating eye drops for dogs or artificial tears eye lubricant for dogs will be a great help here as it can clean the eyes using false tears.
2. Watery eyes which are often itchy due to foreign irritants such as pollen and dust getting into the eyes. By washing the eyes clean and applying eye drops with added antihistamine, it will really help to reduce the severity of this condition.
3. Cataracts are due to the formation of damaged proteins in the dog’s eye and with this the eye lens gradually becomes opaque. The degree of vision impairment is determined by the size and location of the contract, and vision loss ranges from partial to complete. Cataracts can be classified by several factors, such as the age of onset, the cause, the location, and the degree of opacity.
Instead of invasive cataract surgery, specific cataract eye drops for dogs can be used to treat new and mild cataract conditions. These dog cataracts eye drops have specially formulated ingredients that can dissolve these unwanted proteins that cause cataracts.
Typically, dogs with new or developing cataracts will see the most improvement within the first 6 weeks when the appropriate dog eye drops are administered.The age of cataracts affects the degree to which the proteins aggregations from the cataracts are reversible. Cataracts that are very large, opaque, and old will see improvement are a slower rate compared to new-formed cataracts.
4. Ocular degeneration and decreased vision clarity due to age, ultraviolet light exposure, poor nutrition, and other causes. The dog’s eye drops antioxidants and nutrients ingredients can help to improve ocular health and clarity.
5. Conjunctivitis which is an inflammation of the eye’s membranes. Commonly called pinkeye, it’s the most common cause of eye discharge. It may involves swelling, redness, and discharge around the eyes. During infection, the mucus, yellow-green pus or discharge are signs of conjunctivitis. In dogs, it’s commonly caused by allergies. Allergic conjunctivitis can be treated with cortisone eye drops.
How To Administer The Eye Drops
Giving Eye Drops Medications
Gently pull down the skin below the inside corner of the lower eyelid. You will see a small cup form in the corner. Squeeze a small drop of liquid right in the cup and release the lid. The medication will spread over the entire eye when your dog blinks.
Keeping your dog’s eye in good condition is important for the overall health of your dog. Monitor and improve your dog’s eye health by using some of the best dog eye drops we have chosen below.
- Clean and relieve your dog’s eyes affected by itching, irritations, stinging and contaminants
- Easy-to-use gel to help lubricate and protect the eyes
- Apply to affected eyes once or twice a day as needed, no rinsing required.
- A one-step dog eye care solution designed for easy application and rapid results.
- Safe for use for dogs of all sizes
- A soothing liquid blend of vitamin C and zinc to soothe, protect, and heal your dog’s eyes from infection and irritation
- All-natural formula for dogs to provide relief of discomfort from minor eye irritation
- Helps with staining and other eye problems
- Can also be used to prevent eye irritation
- Easy to administer with a convenient dropper
- Made in the USA
- Non-toxic dog eye drops to help support the normal healing process without harming the sensitive tissues of your furry friend eyes
- Uses a pH neutral silver solution to combat bacteria, fungi and yeast, and works in a targeted manner to return ear and eye functions back to normal level
- Can help with runny eyes, seasonal allergies, and tear stains
I-Drop Vet Plus Lubricating Eye Drops for Dogs
- An effective lubricating solution that brings immediate comfort and long-lasting hydration relief with every blink to dogs suffering from seasonal or acute dry eyes
- It continually refreshes and stabilizes the tear film providing ultra comfort with fewer applications required
- Contains viscoadaptive biopolymers and it is easy to apply
- Formulated by I-MED Animal Health, a world leader in ocular surface disorder management
- Available in a convenient and economical 10-mL sterile, multidose bottle.
Sentrx Ocunovis Gel
Dog Dry Eye Drops
- Sheer, soothing gel eye drops that spread a clear, thin film across the eye with no blurring
- Specifically made for the ocular surface of your doggie eyes
- Proven to dramatically improve the symptoms associated with dry eye
- Provide advanced hydration to give your pup long-term comfort with fewer applications needed
- Made with patented hyaluronic acid designed to last longer
- 100% naturally ocurring ingredients with no preservatives that can cause stinging or pain
- Made in the USA.
- CIDBEST Pet Eye Drops for Pet Eye Care, Relieve Pet Eye Fatigue, Pain-Free Solution for Allergies, Pink Eye, Burning, Itching ＆ Daily Maintenance
- Natural Plant Ingredients with no chemicals. Won’t harm the eyes of your dog.
- Can gently cleans to remove dirt that can accumulate around the eyes.
- Daily care by using this to regularly clean, reduce, or eliminate eye stains on your dog. Also help prevent future build-up and new eye stains from recurring.
- Simple to Use. Flush affected eyes with dog eye drops for pink eye 1-2 times per day until the condition is no longer visible.
- Helps to prevent tear stains, stop itching, and relieve dry eyes
- Provide safe, effective relief to eye irritations and wounds
- Ideal for removing the eye secretions, impurities, debris and incrustations from your dog’s eyes without irritating their sensitive eyes.
- Formulated using ingredients based on the tear fluid, such as hyaluronic acid, for the moisturizing and regenerating properties.
- Helps to remove the mucus that has accumulated in the eyes, and helps to prevent tear stains, stop itching, and relieve dry eyes
- It is suitable for the routine care of the eyes of dogs
- Vitamin C-based, eye cleansing and lubrication eye drops for dogs to keep your furry friend’s eyes moist and provide effective relief from eye irritation and dryness
- Provide effective soothing relief to dry, swollen, red, itchy or irritated eyes caused by normal environmental irritants, pollen, or foreign materials
- Contains a blend of vitamin C and zinc to help support capillary health in the eye, support normal visual eye function, and promote long-term ocular health
- Formulated to soothe, cleanse and lubricate the eyes
- Lanovision Plus is a breakthrough daily eye care solution for dog cataracts and vision deterioration.
- Contains lanosterol to dissolve cataracts and N-Acetylcarnosine, a powerful ophthalmic anti-oxidant to stop cataract formation
- This is an effective cataract reversing eye drop solution for dogs
- The formulation utilizes ingredients to get you results, and uses advanced nanotechnology to help relieve cloudy cataracts
- SAFE – Lanovision is sterilized and mixed with the best ophthalmic preservatives available
- LumenPro’s pet eye drops help to restore clarity of vision and quality of life for your dog.
- An effective cataract reversing dog eye drops recommended for a dog with mild to moderate, new developing cataracts
- This dog cataract eye drop is the only eye drop containing functional lanosterol, a key substance scientifically proven to dissolve the glycoproteins that cause cataracts in animal lenses
- Formulated to be gentle and safe in promoting vision clarity in dogs with cataracts
- Phosphate-free and BPA-free
- An effective cataract reversing eye drop solution
- It is more effective than antioxidant eye drops
- Made in USA
OcluVet Lubricating Dog Cataracts Eye Drops
- Specially formulated lubricating eye drops with antioxidants and nutrients for ocular health and clarity
- Treats ocular degeneration, decreased clarity, and cataracts
- Designed to target the reactions that lead to the formation of damaged protein and provide the nutrients needed to repair the altered amino residuals and oxidation to allow the proteins to return to their healthy state
- Contain multiple antioxidants to keep your dog eyes healthy and strong
- Unique patented formula to provide the nutrients needed to repair, and protect the eye
- Made in USA
Dog Eye Infection Drops (Conjunctivitis, Pink Eye)
- This gentle, non-irritating herbal formula with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory activities for watery eyes, itchy eyes, and conjunctivitis (pink eye) helps to manage painful swelling and soothes uncomfortable itching
- Control excessive eye discharge
- Also help restore your dog eyes back to a healthy state
From above, you will see that dog’s eye drops are a necessity for good eyesight and ocular clarity for your dog. Using these products regularly can help improve the quality of your dog’s eyesight, address cataract conditions, and other eye conditions.
Common eye problems in dogs include tear stains, eye infection, irritation, discharge, and dry eye. Irritation, infection, allergies, injuries, and tear production disorders can cause the eye to tear, water, or drip. A clear discharge may mean a mild irritant (dust or pollen in the eye) or a hair rubbing against the sensitive cornea. Any discolored or thick discharge such as pus is abnormal.
It is advisable as part of ensuring your dog is at his best of health to checking its eyes regularly. You can do this by using damp cotton wool to clean the eyes and check if their eyes are clear and bright without unexpected discharge, swelling or inflammation.