Best Flea Shampoo For Dogs
Flea Shampoo for Dogs
Dogs are often afflicted by different parasites such as fleas, ticks and mites. Fleas is the most common of these pests and is the easiest to get. Your dog might have flea when you find him chewing his paws and scratching his armpits, belly or under his chin. Flea cause your dog to scratch at his skin in an attempt to reduce the irritation caused by the flea bites.
With senior or aging dogs, this can even lead to a condition called flea bite eczema where there is inflammation over a large area of your dog’s skin. Older dogs due to their poorer immune system are more vulnerable to effects of fleas.
For chronic cases in dogs, fleas can cause the loss of hair to become permanent and the skin to become abnormally thick.
Fleas and Ticks
- Fleas – These parasites are disgusting as they take blood, spread disease and lay eggs on our dogs. Fleas look like tiny brown specks, but the presence of small black droppings is also a sign of an infestation. If you find fleas, you must treat your dog and your home environment since fleas can survive away from the dog. This could include washing bedding, vacuuming furniture and floors, and throwing away the vacuum bag to get rid of any flea eggs. Fleas thrive in the warm and cosy environment of a centrally heated house.
- Ticks – are blood sucking parasites that latch onto your dog’s skin, especially around the face. Ticks look and feel like small warts on your dog’s skin. Adult female ticks lay groups of eggs, which hatch to form a colony of young ticks attached to grass stems. If a dog comes by, several of these ticks may attach themselves to the dog.
Tips for keeping your dog free of fleas and ticks:
1) Check your dog regularly for mites or fleas, and treat them soonest possible.
The skin is the dog’s largest organ and its is a breeding ground for all sorts of parasites. While a certain amount of itching and scratching is normal for any dog, it’s when constant and obsessive scratching indicates that something is not right. Hence it is important to groom or comb your dog regularly using a flea comb, as effective brushing and careful checking down at skin level will assist you to check the presence of fleas before a flea infestation occurs. A female flea is able to produce as many as 500 eggs in a day. Upon hatching you will very quickly be facing a plague of these insects.
2) Hoover your furniture, carpet and upholstery regularly and thoroughly, as flea eggs are able to survive for long periods in a warm environment.
The risk of severe issues with fleas is highest during the summer period, but with central heating fleas can be a year round problem. Therefore, thorough vacuuming is important as it helps to remove the flea eggs before they change into adult fleas. Once these fleas emerge, they can leap on to any living object such as your dog, your leg or body causing painful bites.
3) Wash your dog’s bedding and washable toys when dirty and regularly.
You should also wash your dog’s bedding, including the bed itself and toys when you treat your dog.
Flea Shampoo Treatment
- Starts by lathering your dog’s neck thoroughly. This will important as it creates a barrier, preventing fleas from migrating to the ears and head.
- Then wet and and lather the rest of the dog’s body with the flea shampoo.
- Rinse and dry your dog well afterwards.
- Comb your dog throughly after washing to remove any dead fleas or eggs.
Best Flea & Tick Dog Shampoo
Our Top Picks: Flea Shampoo for Dogs
If you want good recommendation on best flea shampoo for dogs, check out the following:
- TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Shampoo Plus Soothing kills fleas, ticks, larvae, eggs by contact with natural pest-fighting ingredients like lemongrass oil, cinnamon oil, and cedarwood oils
- Enriched with Cocoa Butter to help soothe irritated skin.
- Has 5 Natural Essential Oils – Clove oil, lemongrass oil, cedarwood oil, cinnamon oil and sesame seed oil for long lasting pest-fighting effects and a pleasant citrus smell.
- Repels pests from your furry pal for up to 7 days
- Formulated with natural cinnamon oil, cedar oil and clove oil to kill fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and black flies, by contact
- Enriched with oatmeal proteins to nourish, moisture and revitalize dry skin and coat, leaving your pup with soft and smooth fur
- This non-toxic formula remains fully effective against fleas for up to 7 days
- Safe for use on dogs of all ages, from puppies to adults
- Made in the USA
- This scientifically-formulated unscented flea and tick dog shampoo contains a highly effective combination of ingredients that work effectively to kill fleas and ticks on contact
- Unscented formula making it ideal for fragrance-sensitive dogs and dog parents
- Safe for Dogs and Puppies over 12 weeks old, do not use more than once every seven days.
- Sizes – Comes in 8 oz, 12 oz and 24 Fluid Ounce bottles.
- Wysong Nature’s Relief dog shampoo contains essential oils which help to naturally repel and eliminate pesky insects, fleas, ticks, and gnats
- This mild shampoo is gentle enough to be used regularly for cleansing and moisturizing your dog’s coat and skin.
- Contains Aloe Vera, Essential Oil Blend, Cedarwood, Tea Tree Oils, Citronella, Jojoba Oil, Grapeseed Extract, Olive Oil, and Rosemary Extract.
- ADAMS Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor – Kills fleas, ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae and lice.
- For Sensitive Skin – Rich, creamy, sensitive skin formula with soothing aloe, lanolin and oatmeal.
- Effective – Contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) to kill and prevent flea development for up to 28 days.
- For Dogs and Puppies – Safe for use on all dogs and puppies 12-weeks and older.
- Fresh Scent – Pleasant, fresh scent.
- Packaging may vary
- 12 Fluid Ounces in bottle.
- Advanced Strength flea and tick shampoo for dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older
- 2x Flea Killing Effectiveness – Kills fleas, flea larva, flea eggs, and ticks on contact and cleans and deodorizes your dog’s coat
- Gentle on Skin – Does not contain harsh chemicals but rather 100% natural essential oils and plant-based ingredients
- No added fragrance or colors – Natural rosemary and peppermint scent that is easy to lather & rinse.
- Made in the USA
- Clean and Control: SENTRY oatmeal shampoo cleans, deodorizes and conditions your dog’s coat, and is also pH balanced.
- For Dogs and Puppies – Can be used on dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age and over.
- Gentle on Skin – Rich, conditioning formula with oatmeal that soothe dry or irritated skin. Great for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Hawaiian ginger fragrance.
- 18 Fluid Ounces bottle.
- 100% All Natural – Kills Fleas, Ticks and Repels Mosquitos. Made with 5 pure essential oils.
- Organic – 100% naturally derived ingredients. No artificial colors, artificial fragrances, no harsh chemicals.
- Gentle on Skin – Paraben and sulphate free, gentle on your dog’s skin
- Great Smelling Essential Oils – Leaving your dog smelling great.
- Safe for dog 12 weeks and older.
- 12 Fluid Ounces bottle.
- Maximum Flea and Tick Control – With up to 3x more active ingredients. Formulated with pyrethrum which is derived from flowers, to kill and control fleas and ticks on-contact.
- Gentle on skins – cleanses and exfoliates skin and coat. The pH balanced treatment is ideal for your dog’s sensitive skin.
- Soap and Paraben Free – contains no harsh soaps or damaging detergents
- Formulated for Pets – safe for dogs, cats, ferrets and horses 12 weeks and older.
- Fresh Clean Scent – Your dog will have a soft and lustrous coat that smells fresh and clean.
- 16 Fluid Ounces in bottle.
- Hartz UltraGuard Rid Flea & Tick Dog Shampoo – provides your dog with relief from pesky fleas and ticks
- Effective – kills fleas and ticks through contact
- Gentle for your dog – has smoothing aloe to provide relief from itchy and irritated skin
- Fresh Citrus Fragrance – Citrus-scented shampoo leaving your dog smelling good.
- For Dogs and Puppies – 6 months of age and older
- Can be use weekly – for preventative treatment, while cleaning and deodorising.
- 18 Fluid Ounces in bottle