Dog Sling Carrier, Motorcycle Carrier, Car & Airplane Travel Carrier
There are many reasons why a dog carrier is an excellent addition to your pups accessory collection. One of the main being that travelling becomes a lot less stressful but also your canine companion will be safer and more comfortable as you navigate the world together.
However, with so many different types of dog carriers on the market, it can be something of a challenge to work out which one will be best for you and your dog. In this article, we are going to be looking at some of the most popular types of dog carriers and giving you all the information you will need to find the best one for your needs.
Table of Contents
Whilst there are a whole wealth of ways to transport your dog – think doggy pushchairs and the like, there are, in the main, four common types of dog carriers that are widely used by pet owners. These are slings, motorcycle dog carriers, dog backpack carriers, dog bike carriers, and carriers for use in cars and airplanes.
Each of these has it’s own benefits but before we get acquainted with the different types of dog carriers, it is important to understand when and why each of them should be used.
Buying your dog carrier can come with a lot of questions, so before making a purchase it is important to consider certain factors. This will ensure that you are able to find the best doggy carrying bag to suit yours and your pets needs.
Dog Sling Carrier
If you need to keep your hands free, then a doggy sling is an excellent option since the design allows you to carry your pooch without having to use your hands at all. For this reason, they make the perfect carrier for those who have a dog who cannot walk long distances and will need to be carried for longer jaunts in the countryside. A dog sling carrier will secure your pup close to your body while walking or cycling.
It is important to remember that, due to the way you will carry your dog in a sling, this option works better for smaller dogs. Aside from being used for smaller animals, a dog sling is also great for pets who are recovering from an injury or for whom, old age is catching up with them.
What To Consider When Buying A Dog Sling Carrier
For slings you should consider the size of your dog, these carriers are generally designed for smaller dogs and even if you are able to squeeze a slightly bigger animal into the sling, it is worth remembering that this could cause discomfort for your pet.
Additionally, you should also think about how long you plan on using the sling and whether you will be able to manage the weight – even small dogs can feel like a breezeblock when you’ve been carrying them around all day. For this reason, you might invest in a lightweight carrier.
Motorcycle Dog Carrier
It’s one thing to pop the pup in the car and drive off on vacation or to explore new sights and sounds, but when you are travelling by motorcycle, it can be much more challenging to get Fido on board. However, a motorcycle dog carrier can mean the difference between your pet joining you on your adventures and them having to stay home.
There are many motorcycle carriers available on the market and the size and style you choose will depend on the size and breed of the dog. Some pet owners may be concerned with the safety of motorcycle dog carriers, but rest assured, if you buy a quality carrier from a reputable company, your dog can be safely transported on your motorcycle and you will be free to enjoy many excursions together.
What To Consider When Buying A Dog Carrier For Motorcycle
When purchasing a motorcycle carrier for your dog, one of the most important things to consider is whether your dog would be able to easily escape – it is not worth thinking about the consequences if they did whilst travelling at high speeds. Safety is paramount when considering this option. It is worth investing a little more money for a carrier that will protect your dog and keep in comfortable.
Dog Travel Carrier Bag
Travelling carrier bags and crates are great for traveling in style and comfort by car or plane or just a trip to the veterinarian. Typically it comes in small, medium and large sizes.
You can simply put your dog in the car without a carrier but this can be unsafe and may leave your dog feeling unsettled – we’ve all seen how excitable they can get when the prospect of a car journey arises. But using a travel carrier bag means that you can take your beloved pet on all of your road trips without the worry that they will get hurt or over-excited.
When choosing one of these, make sure your dog has enough room to sit and stand, turn around easily and like down in a natural position.
Dogs and heat. Dogs are very inefficient in getting rid of excess heat, compared to humans. They only sweat through the pads of their feet and rely on panting to prevent overheating. This means a dog can suffer from heatstroke within minutes. Especially, it can get uncomfortably hot in car on a sunny day and you should not leave a dog alone in a car.
As dogs pant to help themselves cool, in a hot and stuffy car it might not be enough to cool them down just they leaving a car window open. Also do ensure that your dog can see out of the travelling carrier and there is enough ventilation and airflow.
Car sickness. For young pups, car sickness is quite common. If yours suffers from this, condition your puppy it into the car, giving a dog treat, then letting it jump out. Then, progress to turn on the car engine, drive out of your parking area and back in, and give a reward for not vomiting. You can increase the journey length until your dog is reliably conditioned. In addition, you can request your veterinarian to provide you with anti-nausea medication for the trip.
Another car travel tip is, if you are on a long journey do make sure you have regular stops for your dog to have a drink and go to the toilet.
Airline Approved Dog Carrier
Air Travel. When travelling by air, we all know that dogs are not freely allowed to roam around a plane and in days gone by, it meant stowing your pet in the baggage compartment under the plane which is extremely distressing for animals. Also, if you want to take your dog with you for holiday, make sure you have checked with your veterinarian that he or she is healthy to travel, and that your destination is pet-friendly.
With a dog carrier bag, many airlines will now allow your dog to travel in the cabin, provided that the bag can fit underneath the seat in front of you and that the maximum amount of animals onboard is not exceeded. It is worth checking with the airline beforehand but taking them into the cabin with you can save money on additional luggage costs.
If you are buying a travel bag for a car or airplane thinking about the size is once again important. You should select the dog carrier based on your dog’s weight, length and height. To measure your dog’s length, start at the front of the chest and measure to the end of the dog’s rear. For height, measure from the floor to the top of the back.
What To Consider When Buying A Dog Carrier For Plane
For those looking at air travel, if the bag and dog will not fit under the seat, you may not be able to take it, so always check the measurements before buying. Your dog should have enough room to stand up and turn around inside the carrier.
Additionally, you should find a carrier that will be comfortable for your dog especially if the journey you are planning will mean them being in the carrier for a long period of time. Using a carrier bag that is too large could result in motion sickness during travel.
Dog Backpack Carrier
If you often go on long excursions and you want to take your pet with you – think a weekend in the mountains, for example, then a dog backpack carrier might be the best option, especially if you have a small to medium-sized pet.
Carrying your dog in a backpack carrier gives them the opportunity to explore the world with you, even if they couldn’t manage the entire walk themselves, whether for health reasons, age or simply from being tired out from too much walking.
Furthermore, simply taking your doggy backpack out and about with you means that should your pooch suffer and injury, you will be able to carry them safely and comfortably back to the vet.
Best Dog Sling Carrier
If you are looking for a dog sling carrier to take your dog to the mall, subway, grocery stores, or veterinarian, here are the best dog carrier slings perfect for your daily walk and weekend adventure.
- Hands-free design carrier sling bag made of leather and mesh, it is durable, yet soft and breathable
- Features super-wide padded shoulder strap for your comfort, and a sturdy collar hook for the safety of your little pup.
- This easy-to-use and lightweight sling carrier is perfect for small dogs up to 15 lbs
- Available in 6 different colors & 2 sizes to choose from
- This lightweight sling is perfect for carrying small dogs up to 10 lbs
- It can be expanded to fit a larger pup by unzipping the bottom base
- Made of breathable mesh top and polyester, soft and durable.
- Designed with extra-wide padded shoulder strap, adjustable drawstring neck closure, and an inner safety latch for collar or leash attachment
- This hands-free dog sling carrier is designed for carrying dogs weighing up to 13 lbs.
- Made of soft and high-quality cotton, it is ultra-comfy and easy to clean.
- Features adjustable shoulder strap, zippered pocket for storing all your essentials & safety collar hook to keep your pup securely inside the bag while you run your errands
- Reversible design that provides two looks in one
Best Motorcycle Dog Carrier
If you are looking for a quality motorcycle carrier that provides comfort and safety for your dog, here are the best motorbike dog carrier for your consideration. We have evaluated dozens of top-rated motorcycle dog carriers in the market to identify the best ones.
- Bring your four-legged furry friend with you on the road, go the distance and discover the wide-open world with this large & comfortable motorcycle dog carrier bag
- Size – 17.3″ L x 12.2″ W x 14.9″ H and can support dogs up to 33 lbs
- Use the included mounting straps to fix the bag on the back of the back seat
- The internal metal frame and the bottom of the soft cushion is made of hard material to maintain the shape, keep it from collapsing and protect your pup well
- Features 4 mesh breathable panels, and 3 additional vent holes on both sides at the top of the bag to increase the air circulation
- Access flaps let your furry one enjoys the fresh air
- Comes with 5 adjustable straps, a rain cover, 2 dishes, and a removable stash pouch
- Also includes a detachable, easy-to-clean foam cushion for your pup’s comfort during the ride
- There are 3 storage pockets for keeping your pooch’s stuff like toys, water, treats, and your dog harness
- Comes with 2 foldable pet bowls, 1 snap hook, and 4 belt loops inside the bag so you can even fix the pet bowl in the bag with a chain
- Size: 18.5 inches wide x 13 inches deep x 14 inches tall, for dog weight up to 20 lbs.
- Easy and secure mounting to your motorcycle with the included sissy bar straps, multiple D-rings, and adjustable straps
- Durable construction with UV-rated weather-resistant material with removable rain cover.
- Features 4 mesh windows for your pup’s optimal ventilation and viewing
- Comes with a removable and easy-to-clean foam cushion that offers your furry one maximum comfort during the ride
- It has an internal frame with rigid structural support that offers great peace of mind knowing your little one is protected
- Built with UV-rated weather-resistant 1200 denier textile material for durability
- Includes plenty of accessories like 2 dishes, internal adjustable leash, rain cover, and removable stash pouch
- Comes with a removable shoulder strap and side-mounted carrying handles for convenient portability off the bike
- Size: 16 inches width x 14 inches length x 14 inches tall.
- Two mounting systems included: a SADDLEMEN versa-mount seat harness or adjustable sissy bar strap system that easily attaches the carrier bag to your motorcycle’s seat, sissy bar, or luggage rack
- Also includes a plush backrest pad so you can position for your riding comfort
- It has a liner bag with carry handles that lets you store clothes or cargo away from your pup
- Multiple vents and access flaps let your pup has optimum ventilation and fresh air during the ride
- Sliding leash mount allows freedom of dog’s movement while keeping it secured in the bag
- Comes with a removable, washable bottom tray and and a resting pad for your pup’s comfort
- Includes water and food trays that stow neatly in their own compartment
- Comes with a sturdy grip handle and backpack straps for convenient carrying off the bike
- A large and spacious motorcycle pet carrier bag, with a dimension of 18. 5″ L x 13″ W x 14″ H to take your furry friend with you on your motorcycle in comfort
- Support dogs up to 20 lbs.
- This carrier also doubles as an effective cargo bag
- It has a removable and washable bottom tray, a resting pad for your pup’s comfort, 2 foldable pet bowls, a removable stash pouch, and a rain cover
- Features UV-rated weather-resistant textile material, internal adjustable leash, an internal frame with rigid structural support to offer you peace of mind knowing your pooch is well-protected
- Quick-disconnect adjustable mounting straps, multiple D-rings, and sissy bar straps allow the bag to be securely mounted and removed from your motorcycle in seconds
- Features 4 mesh windows and a top window opening to allow your furry one to pop the head out for viewing and optimum ventilation
- Also comes with a removable shoulder strap and carrying handles at the sides for easy portability off the bike
- Size: 16 x 12 x 13 inches
- Heavy Duty Motorcycle Pet Carrier Sissy Bar Bag
- Universal Adjustable Strap and Clips for Easy Mounting
- Heavy Duty Mesh Breathable Panels
- Durable PVC material
- Extra Zipper Top Loader Opening
- Three outside bonus storage pockets
- Double sided carry handles
- Black in color
- Milwaukee Performance Accessories Brand
This fashionable, luxury dog carrier bag is designed to let you & your best furry friend both live, work, and travel together, without compromise. They are made to fly in the main cabin of most major airlines.
Designed in New York City. Sourced and made in Italy using pure leather and coated canvas on the outside, with a pocket for your essentials like mobile phone, keys & cards. Inside this stylish bag are accident-proof nylon and a zip pocket for keeping your dog’s essentials like their favorite treats, toys, and tethers.
• Premium byproduct leather and coated cotton canvas
• Water and scratch-resistant, easy to clean surfaces
• Optional cross-body leather shoulder strap for going hands-free
• Locking zippers for pet stability & security
• Outer pocket for essentials like phone, keys, tissue, wallet, etc.
• Antibacterial, water-resistant nylon lining
• Spacious zippered pocket for pet’s papers, treats, and even collapsible water bowl
• Harness attachment for the safety and security of your dog
• Sturdy baseboard for firm support with removable cover
• Pocket for mesh window when the carrier is open
Available in various colors.
This light portable carrier allows you to travel easily, comfortably, and securely with your four-legged friend. It’s fully collapsible and lays flat for on the go packing. Breathable mesh design provides maximum comfort for your pet. Perfect for dogs that weigh below 12 pounds. 5 color options to choose from. Carrier dimension: L 16″ x W 10″ x H 11″
Carry your pooch in style with Buckle-Down’s The Mystery Machine Dog Carrier, officially licensed by Scooby-Doo!
- This dog carrier is made with durable quilted polyester and has 4 mesh panels for ventilation and easy viewing.
- Comes with 2 durable tote-style handles, and a removable base pad for added comfort and structure
- Features a U-shaped zipper top entry and velcro closures
FurHaven All Season Pet Tote is a multi-purpose, stylish pet carrier that can be used as dog car seat, travel purse or soft pet crate for travel including airplane flights. Travelling has never been so easy and comfortable for your pup!
Choose from 4 fashionable colors and 2 sizes, small (capacity 10 lb, 16” W x 8” D x 11” H) and large (capacity 15 lbs, 18” W x 9” D x 12” H)
- Size: Small carrier 15″ length x 10″ width, 8.5″ height for dog up to 8 lbs. Medium carrier 17″ length x 11″ width x 10″ height for dog up to 16 lbs. Large carrier 19″ length x 11.75″ width x 11.5″ height for dog up to 22 lbs.
- Mesh panels on carrier provides good ventilation.
- Soft, cozy, removable and machine washable faux lambskin liner.
- Size: Small carrier is 19 x 12.7 x 11.5 inches and for dog up to 10 lbs. Medium carrier is 28 x 20 x 19.2 inches and for dog 20 to 30 lbs. Large carrier is 40 x 26.1 x 29.7 inches and for dog 70 to 90 lbs.
- Ventilated sides for maximum visibility and air flow.
- Portable kennel with durable construction and door latches for security.
- Sizes: Small carrier fits dog up to 13″ in length x 8″ in height and up to 8 lbs. Medium carrier fits dog up to 16″ in length x 10″ in height and up to 16 lbs. Large carrier fits dog up to 19″ in length x 11″ in height and up to 22 lbs.
- Soft-Side Mesh Dog Travel carrier.
- Removable fleece pad is machine washable for easy cleaning.
Dog Carrier FAQ
Provided that you purchase a dog carrier that is the correct size for your pet, there is no reason why their safety would be compromised. For the most part, smaller or medium-sized dogs will be safely transported in a carrier, however, if you attempt to carry a larger dog, this may put a strain on the carrier, resulting in it breaking.
It is almost impossible to force your pet into a carrier that they do not want to use, that being said, there are ways in which you can encourage your pet to feel more comfortable with being in the carrier. Using it for short periods of time to begin with can help and also leaving a carrier around the home for your pet to explore at their own leisure is important.
Whilst some pet owners do opt to use their children’s old baby carriers to transport their dogs, it is always preferable to go for a carrier that has been specifically designed for use with pets. This will maximise comfort and safety for the animal.
Depending on the size, brand and style of dog carrier you buy, you can expect to pay anything from a very low price right up into the hundreds. Whilst considering your budget is important, you should also aim to get the best carrier for your money,
Dogs are our wonderful companions and they are a joy to have in our lives. Taking them out into the world with us is just one of the many pleasures they bring. However, some animals may find it difficult to walk long distances, or there may be places where dogs are required to be contained. For this reason, many pet owners use a dog carrier.
Dog carriers are great for travels and exploring the outdoors with your dog. There are four main types of dog carrier, each with its own specific purpose and it is important to think about why you need the dog carrier and how it will be used before purchasing. Also, do replace the carrier when your dog grows bigger.