Low Carb Dog Food
Low Carb Dog Food
Carbohydrates can be divided into simple and complex carbohydrates.
- Simple carbohydrates are easier to process for dogs as they can be broken down with the least energy usage and are released in slow amounts when the dog is hungry.
- Complex carbohydrates are much harder for dogs to process as they consist of saturated sugars that dogs are more difficult to digest. Over time, they accumulate as fat deposits.
Energy can come from one of three sources: carbohydrates, fat and protein. Dogs do need carbohydrates for energy, but they do not need excessive amount of them. Excessive carbohydrates results in extra fats which can cause obesity and overweight, which will lead to heart disease, diabetes, kidney problems and other health issues for your dog. Therefore, giving your dog low carb dog food would make him or her lose weight, gain muscle mass and have better health.
Low Carb Dog Food
With low carb dog food, energy alternatives can comes from protein or fats. Protein can be a good alternative of energy source, instead of carbohydrates. Protein sources includes quality meat, fish and eggs which provides essential amino acids to keep your dog active with energy. As such, high protein low carb dog food can be consider who seeking for a low carb dog food.
Another popular low carb dog food is low carb, high fat diet. With this type of diet, the aim is to achieve ketosis. In this metabolic state, fat reserves are broken down without causing any hunger urges. There will be ketones in the blood which will provide the muscles with energy.
Benefits of a ketogenic diet for dog’s health being reported includes:
- Increased energy and endurance,
- Softer and shinier coats
- Relief for allergies, digestion, and skin issues
- More solid and less frequent poops
- No bloating or excess gas.
Types of Low Carb Dog Food
In addressing the different taste and health needs of dogs, the common types of low carb dog food includes:
- Grain free low carb
- Low carb dry dog food
- Low carb wet dog food or low carb canned dog food.
Best Low Carb Dog Food Reviews
We have evaluated top rated low carb dog food brands like VISIONARY PET, NULO, ORIJEN, KETONA, KETOGENIC PET, DIAMOND NATURALS, TASTE OF THE WILD, VICTOR,PEDIGREE, PURINA, IAMS, BLUE BUFFALO, SOLID GOLD, WERUVA. Here is our review and recommendation for your consideration.
- Nulo Adult Trim Weight Management Dry Dog Food. Low Carb Kibble Diet Helps Promote Healthy Weight
- Grain-Free – contains no corn, wheat, soy, white potatoes, tapioca
- Low Carb, High Protein formula – has 74% animal-based protein, more amino acids and better flavor. Nulo uses fewer carbs & low glycemic ingredients
- Probiotic – supports healthy gut flora to aid digestion.
- May Reduce food sensitivities or allergies.
- No artificial colors, flavorings or preservatives.
- Age range – suitable for All Life Stages
- Made in the USA.
- 26 lb bag.
- SOLID GOLD holistic natural grain-free and gluten-free high protein dry dog food recipe – for dogs of all breeds sizes and life stages including puppy and senior.
- High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Recipe – has 41% crude protein for fueling active dogs and ensuring their unique nutritional needs are met.
- High Quality Real Meat – using USA sourced beef providing essential amino acids that are vital for lean muscle development and a healthy active metabolism.
- Superfoods and Probiotics – helps your dog to have optimal digestive, gut health and immunity support.
- 24 lb bag.
- Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete – Real Meat Recipe High Protein Dry Dog Food
- High Quality Protein – with cage free chicken providing an optimal amino acid profile for lean, strong muscles.
- Nutrients Rich – added vitamins & minerals.
- Superfoods – and highly digestible with fruits and vegetables
- Omega Fatty Acid – blend for healthy skin and coat
- Probiotics – to thrive in the GI tract for healthy gut.
- No corn, wheat, filler
- No Artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives added.
- 40 lbs bag.
- Victor Classic Hi-Pro Plus, Dry Dog Food
- Nutrient Dense Recipe – made with premium quality beef, chicken, pork and fish meals
- Protein Rich – good for all life stages, including growing puppies and pregnant or nursing females
- Vitamins and Minerals Fortified – with essential fatty acids
- VPRO Blend Ingredients – to promote healthy immune and digestive systems.
- Grain and Gluten free – no corn, wheat, soy.
- 40 lb bag.
- Purina Beneful natural, high protein dry dog Food – with a blend of chicken & Beef
- Real Chicken – as number 1 ingredient to support strong muscles
- High Protein – with 26 percent protein to help support your dog’s strong muscles,
- Antioxidants – to support immune system
- Vitamins and Minerals – to promote overall health and wellness.
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- 26 lbs bag.
- BLUE BUFFALO Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Wet Dog Food – Beef & Chicken Grill
- Two Protein Rich Meats – with real beef and chicken as first ingredients to supply the energy while promoting healthy muscle growth.
- Enhanced with vitamins and minerals
- No corn, wheat or soy
- No artificial flavors or preservatives.
- 12 cans, each can is 12. 5 oz.
- WERUVA Paw Licking Canned Dog Food – Chicken in Gravy
- High Protein, Low Carb – formulated with high quality protein and minimal carbs for a nutritious meal for your dog.
- Gourmet Dog Food – featuring tender, boneless, skinless chicken breast in a tasty gravy
- Grain Free – and Gluten Free so is ideal for dogs with sensitive tummies or allergies
- Added Vitamins and Minerals – make this a complete and balanced diet
- 12 cans, each can is 14 oz.