Low Fat Dog Food
Low Fat Dog Food
Low fat dog food is formulated with lower fat to encourage weight loss or prevent pancreatitis. Obese dogs can developed an increased risk for diabetes, cancer, heart disease, hypertension and osteoarthrities.
Fats for Dogs
Fat is either saturated or polyunsaturated and your dog needs both. Fats supply the essential fatty acids necessary to maintain your dog’s good health.
Saturated fats comes from animal sources and is used for energy. No enough animal fat in your dog’s diet can cause:
- Lack of energy
- Heart problems
- Growth deficits
- Dry skin
For dogs who does not get much exercise, too much animal fat in their diet creates:
- Some kinds of cancer
Polyunsaturated fats comes from vegetable sources. Your dog needs polyunsaturated fat for healthy skin and coat. Linoleic acid is one of the three essential fatty acids found in polyunsaturated that is good for dogs.
Dangers of Obesity
Dog obesity can have detrimental effects on a dog’s health and longevity as noted below:
- Reduced Quality of Life due to poor mobility and decreased energy
- Poor Immune system, making the body more prone to infections
- Diabetes and the need for insulin injections for life
- Inflammed pancreas
- Painful joints and arthritis problems such as arthritis, osteoarthritis, chronic lameness
- Heart problems
- Breathing problems
- Heatstroke due to increased insulation that prevents cooling
- Cancer especially urinary
- Reduced mobility, decreased energy and quality of life
- Reduced lifespan
Low fat dog food for treating dog obesity
It is also commonly know as diet dog food or weight management dog food. This dog food is beneficial for tackling obesity through weight control and weight loss so that your dog can achieve a healthy weight. In fact, a study showed that obese dogs could lose as much as eighteen months of life while going through the pain and potential medical treatments that they have to endure for other conditions related to obesity.
Overweight dogs can developed many health issues including joint and mobility problems.
Therefore, low fat dog food will be good for preventing and treating obesity and other health conditions like pancreatitis, and also inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Is your dog overweight?
The best way to tell if you are feeding the right amount is to look at your dog. If he has as nice tuck below his ribs indicating waistline, then he is probably in good shape. If that waist tuck is so extreme as to appear emaciated, he may not be getting enough food. If he has no visible waistline and appears sausage-shaped, he is most likely overweight.
The body condition system (BCS) is use to determine the proper size for your dog. It ranks your dog’s body based on the amount of fat that covers his ribs, back and base of tail. You can use the chart below you should be able to put your dog in one of the number categories to identify his BCS score. A BCS score of 1 indicates severely underweight whereas a score of 9 indicates severely overweight. A BCS score of 5 is consider the ideal weight for your dog.
Top 10 Best Low Fat Dog Food
We have evaluated top rated senior dog food brands like Hill’s Science Diet, Purina, Wellness, Annamaet, IAMS, Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Merrick. Here is our review and recommendation for your consideration.
- Contains one (1) 29.1 lb. bag of IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food Chicken
- Veterinarians recommend IAMS.
- Made with real farm-raised chicken
- Supports healthy metabolism with L-Carnitine
- 20% less fat vs. IAMS Chunks recipe to help with healthy weight management and control
- Promotes strong muscles with premium-quality lean protein
- Tailored blend of wholesome fiber and natural prebiotics for healthy digestion
- Contains (1) 15 pound bag of dry dog food. For a limited time, you may receive either bag while we update our packaging
- Made with targeted levels of L-carnitine to help maintain a healthy weight
- Contains a special fiber and protein blend to help your dog feel full and satisfied
- Includes wholesome grains with fiber to help support healthy digestion, plus added vitamin E, C and zinc to help support immune health
- Complete, balanced nutrition for adult dogs
- HEALTHY WEIGHT CONTROL: Has 20% less Fat for healthy weight management. Is made with L-carnitine to help your adult dog achieve and maintain an ideal weight, and enriched fiber to help your dog feel fuller longer
- STARTS WITH HIGH-QUALITY CHICKEN: This healthy weight dry dog food is formulated with wholesome ingredients including fruits and vegetables to help manage your adult dog’s weight control, naturally
- ONLY WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: BLUE True Solutions is a science based dog food with NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals and NO corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- One (1) 22.0 lb Bag – Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Healthy Weight Recipe
- Real deboned beef is always the first ingredient
- Dry food for dogs with 55% protein and healthy fat ingredients and 45% produce, fiber, vitamins, minerals and other natural ingredients
- With 80% of protein from animal sources, the Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Healthy Weight Recipe offers the ideal combination of protein and healthy fats to help a dog maintain optimal weight and increased energy
- Glucosamine and chondroitin help maintain healthy hips and joints, while omega fatty acids support healthy skin and shiny coat.