Leather Dog Collars
Leather Collars for Dogs
Leather dog collars provide extra comfort for dogs. The leather can also be personalized with the dog name, contact number, and other details with your preferences. Leather collars come in different varieties and some dog breeds prefer one collar over the other. So which type of leather collar should you get? Let’s go through the different types of dog leather collar, their features, and their advantages.
Table of Contents
Soft Leather Dog Collar
As the name implies, this type of dog collar is sourced from soft leather material. Soft leather that manufacturers use for making soft leather dog collars might be either of the following:
- sheep leather
- deer leather
Soft leather dog collars can either be rolled, round, custom, or engraved dog collar. Aside from their extremely soft texture, features that set soft leather dog collars aside from others are their airiness, lightness, and ease of use. Even comfortable, soft leather dog collars are prone to tearing. That’s why they’re only suitable as starting collars for pups.
Rolled Leather Dog Collar
This type of dog collar is made out of leather that’s spun and stitched. Depending on the brand, rolled leather dog collars are either handcrafted or machine-made. Though they in terms of manufacturing, most are pretty similar in terms of the raw material used – latigo leather.
Latigo leather comes from cowhide. Producers make it through chrome tanning or vegetable tanning. Latigo leather is very flexible and soft. Shaping it is very easy. Therefore, it’s the perfect material for rolled leather dog collars.
One key feature of rolled leather dog collars is their softness. They’re very soft and smooth. Also, they’re light and don’t strain the neck of the wearer. Rolled leather dog collars are perfect for small dogs. Though soft, rolled leather dog collars tend to irritate the skin. This might be due to the chemicals used for tanning the latigo leather.
The rolled leather collar performs well at preventing hair matting. If you’re not familiar, hair matting is a fancy term for your pet’s tangled hair. Hairy dogs experience hair matting while wearing collars. Due to their soft and smooth surface, rolled leather dog collars only “slide’ on a dog’s hair. As a result, they don’t tangle the hair when worn.
Here are the key points that you should know about rolled leather dog collars:
- a type of dog collar that’s made by rolling and stitching latigo leather
- very soft and smooth dog collar
- prevents hair matting but might irritate the skin of the wearer at the same time
- may not be very durable
Engraved Leather Dog Collar
This type of dog collar comes with a plate that bears the name of the dog, the name of the owner of the dog, and the dog’s address. Engraved leather collars look similar to round, rolled, and padded dog collars. Nevertheless, it’s the engraved plate that makes it different. The plate can either be gold, silver, bronze, or any other precious metal. The price for engraved leather dog collars depends upon the type of plate and the difficulty of the engravements.
Engraved leather dog collars are useful for taking your pet for a walk or trip. It ensures that if ever your pet becomes lost, people who find it can locate you through the information that’s engraved on the plate. Engraved leather dog collars are a must. Therefore, you should at least get one for bringing your dog to various places.
Here are the key points of engraved leather dog collars:
- prevents your pet from getting lost
- ideal dog collar for bringing your pet on trips
Round Leather Dog Collar
Round leather dog collars look vaguely similar to rolled dog leather collars. Nevertheless, it’s easy to determine which is which upon closer inspection. Rolled leather dog collars are only made out of leather whereas round leather dog collars consist of a rope and leather material. For round leather dog collars, the rope acts as the base for shape and structure. On the other hand, leather provides comfort, beauty, and texture.
Round leather dog collars are as soft as rolled leather dog collars. But they’re more durable. This is due to the rope lining that the leather material encases. They are great for strong dogs because they hardly snap or tear.
Here are the key points that you should know about round leather dog collars:
- this is a type of dog collar that’s made out of rope and leather
- more durable than rolled leather dog collars
- great for large dogs
- the round shape collar is perfect for the long-haired dogs, preventing tangling and matting of the hair
Padded Leather Dog Collar
The padded leather collar is a type of collar that has multiple layers for ultimate comfort. The number of layers varies per brand. However, the material that manufacturers use for layering is the same.
Usually, the layers for padded leather dog collars consist of nylon, cotton, and leather. This type of dog collar is perhaps the most comfortable.
It’s very soft, flexible, and doesn’t irritate a dog’s skin. Due to these features, vets recommend padded leather dog collars for most dogs.
Nevertheless, short-haired breeds benefit the most. It’s because padded leather dog collars don’t thin the hair at the neck but protect them instead.
Most dogs find padded leather dog collars comfortable. So get this one if your pet is very picky.
Here are the key points of padded leather dog collars:
- a type of dog collar that’s made out of cotton, nylon, and leather
- most comfortable dog collar
- doesn’t irritate the skin and perfect for short-haired breeds
- has a feel that most dogs agree with
Leather Studded Dog Collar
Leather studded dog collars are a type of dog collar with a surface that comes with plates, spikes, bolts, pearls, and other fancy objects. Some look very fancy or badass depending on the design.
As a result, I also like to call them ghost rider collars. The base material for this type of collar is leather. However, what makes leather studded dog collars interesting are the additional items that manufacturers put.
The spikes, bolts, pearls, etc. make leather studded dog collars highly attractive. As I see it, beauty is one key feature that makes leather studded dog collars better than others.
You should opt to buy leather studded dog collars if you want to protect your dog from other pets. The spiked and plated ones are handy for preventing other dogs from sinking their teeth into your pet’s neck.
On the other hand, you can opt to get those that are studded with crystals, pearls, or other fancy objects to make the dog look cute.
Here are the key points of leather studded dog collars:
- a type of dog collar that’s made out of leather but comes with additional items on its surface
- very catchy
- can be used to protect the neck of your pet
- good for timid dogs that are always bothered by other pets
How To Choose The Best Leather Dog Collar For Your Pet?
A catchy collar is useless if your pet won’t like wearing it. This is why comfort should be your priority when searching for collars for your pet. To determine if a collar is comfortable or not, you should inquire about its size, design, and leather material.
You have to be certain that the collar is a perfect fit for your pet so that it won’t simply slide off. On the other hand, the design of the collar might affect the positioning of your pet’s neck. Therefore, you should be very meticulous about it. Finally, the leather might irritate the skin of your pet or cause hair matting. So always ask if your pet is immune to these side effects.
After making sure that the collar is comfortable, thinking about the purpose of the collar comes next. For example, you don’t want to buy an engraved leather dog collar if you’re only using it to keep your dog in its crate. Likewise, you don’t want to get a rolled leather dog collar for walking your dog since it easily snaps. To determine function, ask this following questions:
- Why am I buying a collar for my pet? (is it for walking, for keeping it still, for training it, or for making it look cute)
- In what situations does this dog collar become useful?
- Can this dog collar protect my pet’s neck?
- Is this dog collar great because of its features? (e.g. beauty, durability, etc.)
Finally, you have to think about whether or not the collar will look good on your pet. I placed this last because this is just a minor factor that you have to think about when buying dog collars. Even so, know that dog collars can also serve as simple ornaments for making your pet look nice. That’s why you have to inspect their looks before buying them.
For example, you might want a pink dog collar for a female dog. On the other hand, you might want to get a black or brown one for a male. Also, you might want to get dog collars that come with kiddie designs for puppies. Examples of these are those that come in yellow and white which come with bone-shaped or heart-shaped patterns on their surface.
We have selected some of the best leather dog collars with brands such as CUSTOM CATCH, MIGHTY PAW, SOFT TOUCH, THE TAYLOR COLLAR here for your consideration and selection.
Choose from these various types of collars for your small dogs, medium dogs, and large dogs.
15 Best Leather Collars
- Genuine Canine’s Signature Leather Dog Collar is built to last for a lifetime of walks and to look like new, even in 10 years.
- Made from a single, thick layer of full-grain leather for maximum durability and strength and assembled with solid brass hardware that will not rust or corrode
- This tough collar can withstand 2400 lbs of pressure
- Swimming friendly as it is completely waterproof for up to an hour submerged in water, thanks to the water-resistant coating
- Comes with finished edges to help prevents fraying, and 2 leather loops to ensure no loose ends
- Easy cleaning with a wipe-off and low maintenance
- Available in 4 sizes and 13 different colors to choose from.
- This luxury Swarovski Crystallized Soft Tuscan Italian Leather Collar is perfect for dog lovers that want a classic leather collar plus the eye-catching gleam of genuine Swarovski crystals
- Made using fine Italian leather on the exterior while the interior is soft, flexible, and durable leather
- You can be assured that this premium durable dog collar will remain beautiful for years of use
- Soft yet durable, these collars are resistant to mildew, spills, stains, and bacteria
- Features bright nickel hardware and fine edge stitching for a complete stylish look
- Made in the USA
- Handcrafted from 100% genuine premium, full-grain leather that is stitched to a soft, padded split leather lining
- Features metal clasp and leash ring that is heavy duty and built to withstand even the tough pullers and stay securely fastened
- Water-resistant, durable, easy to clean, and won’t fray or collect hair
- Sturdy and comfortable design
- Available in 5 sizes to fit most dogs
- 5 colors to choose from
- Made in the USA
- Made from brown West-Tan Buffalo leather, this Billy Wolf Rambler dog collar is crafted to last a lifetime
- Looks great on dogs of every breed and sizes
- Comes with a solid brass O-ring and buckle.
- Crafted using hand tacked cream thread and hand stamped copper rivets for durability.
- Made in the USA
- Available in 4 sizes and 2 colors to choose from
- This luxury soft leather dog collar is crafted using genuine full-grain American leather and polyester stitching
- It is comfortable on your pooch’s neck
- Designed with a beautiful quick-release buckle with durable forged European stainless steel springs, so it’s easy for you to open
- Comes with an extra leather tongue for added protection
- Fashionable leather collar available in multiple sizes and colors
- This gorgeous Martini Bow Tie Leather Dog Collar is made of a super-soft, high-grade natural leather
- Features a finished and sealed black backing and edging with a sturdy nickel D-ring and buckle
- Designed with black nylon perimeter stitching and permanently riveted bow tie complete the polished look
- This premium dog collar will pop against any color fur making your pooch a stylish superstar
- Handmade in the USA.
- This fashionable, stylish dog collar is functional and safe for your best furry friend.
- The Taylor Collar is made with scratch and water-resistant leather
- Features a buckle that won’t pull your doggie’s hair.
- Silver hardware with signature Shaya heart & snout etching.
- Hand stitched & edge painted.
- Handcrafted in Italy.
- Available in 3 sizes and 7 colors to choose from
- This stylish collar is beautifully handmade and handstitched using the finest genuine full-grain leather
- Tthe inside lined with soft, padded sheepskin leather to prevent any irritation or chafing
- Tough and durable with sealed-edge and solid brass hardware that’s lacquered to prevent rust
- Comes with a mini brass ring, next to the buckle, for attaching your dog’s ID tag
- Features a leash D-ring located opposite the buckle so it sits on top of your dog’s neck for easy access
- 4 Sizes available – Small, Medium, Large and Extra-Large to fit most dogs
- 5 Color combinations to choose from
- Dogline Dual-Color Leather Dog Collar is made using 100% Genuine cow leather
- These flat collars are soft and padded
- They will not stretch or break and are extremely durable and strong (nylon cord wrapped in leather)
- These durable collars are handmade & stitched with wax thread
- The rivetless design eliminates the possibility of caught & broken hair
- Dyed leather thus the color will not come off
- Available in 4 sizes and 7 colors to choose from
- This genuine leather collar from Tall Tails features a comfortable soft felt layer that reduces irritation between your dog’s neck and the collar.
- The gold-tinted adjustable buckle gives a sophisticated look to pup so your furry friend looks stunning during training, exercising, or going for daily walk
- Durable, comfortable and long-lasting construction
- Available in 3 sizes
- This Quotation Mark Leather Collar is a timeless and hardy accessory for your four legged friend.
- Made from bridle leather, it is designed to withstand tug and pull from any canine.
- This durable collar is hand-painted and flanked by nickel studs to complete the look.
- Features a satin-finish steel buckle and D-ring for added durability and comfort.
- Handcrafted and hand painted in the UK
- Available in 4 sizes
- Genuine leather dog collar which is both comfortable and stylish.
- Built to last and durable, as the collar is made with all metal hardware and strong leather.
- The collar comes with 5 adjustable size settings that allows the collar to grow with your dog.
- Come in 4 sizes and 3 colors. Small for 9.5 – 12 neck inches; Medium for 10.25 – 13.5 inches, Large: 14.5 – 18 inches, and X-Large: 17.25 – 20.5 inches
- Padded leather dog collar, comes with soft inside sheepskin leather padding
- Genuine leather with no harsh chemicals or dyes are used.
- Quality buckle and d-ring made with solid brass hardware that’s lacquered to prevent corrosion and rust.
- Collar width is 1.5 inches. Fits dog next size from 18 to 21 inches. Please measure your dog neck size before placing order.
- Handmade using 100% genuine, soft premium leather and stitched with wax thread
- Feature rivetless design so it eliminates the possibility of caught and broken hair.
- These leather collars are very soft yet very durable – will not stretch or break.
- The leather is dyed, not painted over the top, so the color will not fade or come off
- Dogline round leather collars are available in 11 different beautiful and rich colors, from classy red to gorgeous purple.
- Matching color dog leashes are also available
- Custom leather dog collar, customizable with your phone number, your pooch’s name, or anything you want
- Made of genuine leather, engraved in Vermont
- Dog collar with name engraved is permanently readable
- Personalised dog collar, that comes in 1-inch collar width for Medium or Large size. Comes in 3/4 inch collar width for small size, and 1/2 inch width collar for extra small size.
- 6 Colors to choose from: Soft pink, blue, green, orange, yellow or red
- 4 Sizes: Available in: Large, Medium, Small, or XS collar sizes. 1-inch collar width for Medium& Large size. 3/4 inch collar width for Small size, and 1/2 inch width collar for XS size.
This fashionable, stylish dog collar is functional and safe for your furry friend. The Taylor Collar is made with scratch and water-resistant leather and features a buckle that won’t pull your doggie’s hair. Hand-stitched and handmade in Italy.
Available in 3 sizes: XS – neck 7″ to 10″; Small – neck 8″ to 12″; Medium – neck 12″ to 15″
Price ranges from $62 to $98. Free shipping for all US orders (excluding Alaska & Hawaii).