Joint Supplements for Dogs
Dog Joint Supplements
Arthritis in Dogs
Joint supplements are useful for dogs suffering from joint pains. Joint pains can be due to osteoarthritis also known as Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) or obesity. Osteoarthritis is one of the common type of arthritis whereby an estimated 20 per cent of dogs are living with this condition. This condition is the progressive worsening inflammation of the joints caused by the deterioration of cartilage. It is important to note that dogs with degenerative joint disease can happen at a relatively young age. Another form of arthritis is infective arthritis, which could be due to a bite, an allergy, or a reaction to certain drugs.
Joint problems can be found in:
- Middle-age to senior dogs – due to aging often suffer from this and this can lead to the degeneration of the hips, knees and spine.
- Large or giant breed dogs – due to their heavy weight wearing the joints at a faster rate. These dogs include Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, and German Shepherd Dogs.
- Active dogs – which due to their high mobility activities puts constant stress on the joints.
Joints and Cartilage
A normal and healthy joint has cartilage to prevent two or more bones to come into contact and move against each other. The cartilage serves this important function as a cushion thereby allowing the joint to move smoothly through its full range of motion. It also acts as a shock absorber. Cartilage consists of a mixture of collagen fibers filled with hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate, among other components.
Dogs with arthritis symptoms to watch
Dogs are used to hiding pain, but their distress can be seen quite visibly. You can see these signs in a dog with joint issues:
– Stiffness in walking
– Holding the paw off the ground
– Reluctance to walk or play
– Does not want to jump when normally would
– Shifting weight from one leg to the other.
While it could be distressing to see your dog having joint problems, you should look into treatment as soon as possible to avoid irreversible joint damage.
Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM
A good joint supplement to consider for your dog joint problems would be glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. Glucosamine is typically extracted from crab, shrimp shells and it helps to retain the joint fluid for as long as possible thereby reducing wear and tear. Chondroitin supports glucosamine and the maintenance of the cartilage which is covering the ends of bones at joints. Working together, these two key ingredients lubricates the joints and helps to repair ligaments and cartilage thereby slowing down wear and tear. MSM is believed to provide compounds that might inhibit pain. All these contribute to increased mobility and better joint health for your dog.
A daily or regular dose joint supplements will help improve their mobility and overall joint health. Key ingredients you will find in the below recommended joint supplements could include Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate and Methysonylmethane (MSM).
We have selected some of the high quality dog joint supplements from brands like COSEQUIN, DOG DAILIES, DASUQUIN, NUTRAMAX, PETNC, VETIQ, PETLAB, PETHONESTY, EXTEND JOINT CARE, below for your consideration and selection.
Our Top Picks For The Best Joint Supplement For Dogs
If you want good recommendation on dog joint supplements to relieve joint pain and stiffness, and to improve your dog's hip and joint health and increase mobility then check out the following:
Dog Vitamins For Joints Flexibility & Healthy Hip Support To Give Your Canine A Happier, Healthier & More Active Lifestyle
TASTY & PREMIUM QUALITY JOINT SUPPLEMENT CHEWS
- Supports joint flexibility and strength
- Eases everyday joint stiffness, especially for aging dogs, or dogs with arthritis
- Tasty pork flavoured joint care chews can be given as a tasty treat, snack or reward, or crumbled onto your pup food
- Contains multiple premium ingredients such as Glucosamine, Green lipped mussel, Salmon oil, Turmeric curcumin, Calcium fructoborate – keeping your dog’s joints stay flexible and lubricated – aiding comfort and promoting a more active lifestyle.
- Enhance your pup’s joint & bone health – the fatty acids in the supplement provide vital nutrients for everyday healthy hips and joints
- Per soft chew contains Glucosamine 600mg, Turmeric Curcumin 25mg, Salmon oil 150mg.
- For dogs of all ages
- 30 chews
- Made in USA
Hip & Joint Supplement for Older Dogs - with Hemp Oil & Hemp Powder, Glucosamine, Collagen, MSM, Green Lipped Mussel
Delicious Chews For Mobility & Maximum Hip & Joint Health
- Improve arthritic symptoms and reduce joint pain and inflammation
- Builds stronger bones and new cartilage
- Relieve stiff joints & enhance joint flexibility with collagen
- Creates healthy nails, coat and skin
- Increases overall activity and mobility in your dogs
- 100% All Natural Ingredients, GMO Free & Zero Chemicals, Wheat, Or Other Bad Stuff
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed – or your money back!
- Made in USA
Get 15% OFF With Coupon Code "PUP15" On PetHonesty.com
Made With 100% Natural Ingredients. Zero Chemicals.
Formulated To Relieve Joint Pain & Boost Mobility. For Dogs of every age, size, or breed.
Tasty Rich Beef Flavor Powder Packet
- Contains Joint Shield Complex, a proprietary blend of Glucosamine HCL (Hydrochloride), MSM, type II chicken collagen, and ascorbic acid to improve and maintain healthy joint function and increase joint comfort and connective tissue
- Help nourish, heal, and strengthen joints, cartilage, and bones
- Support Hip and Joint Health throughout the course of your dog’s life, especially for older dogs
- Increase joint strength and viscosity
- Lubricate joints, protect joint cartilage from damage and wear, help cartilage retain water, and prevent future breakdown
- Help with inflammation and pain, and to restore collagen production
- 100% natural ingredients
- Over 100,000 happy customers! BBB® accredited!
- Made in USA
Relieving your dog’s pain and stiffness can include giving your dog joint supplements. This will improve also mobility which is extremely important for your dog. You need to look after your dog’s joint health and a great way is to give your dog a good joint supplement on top of a healthy diet and weight loss or control.
Giving your dog this extra care for their joints will allow for increased mobility as they live a happy and better quality of life with you.
Pet Gear Travel Lite Bi-Fold Pet Ramp allows your dog easy access into your vehicle or other hard to reach places with a better grip than ever before. This easy fold and lightweight ramp (only 7 pounds) fold in half for compact storage. The built-in carry handle allows easy transport and portability.
The bottom of the ramp has rubber grippers and safety tether to help keep the ramp in a steady position. The raised edges also help prevent doggie from slipping off of the side. The ramp measures 42″ x 16″ x 4″ and is excellent for use in heights up to 20″.
Choose between the removable carpet tread or the removable supertraX mat. The supertraX mat costs slightly more but is much preferred because it is soft, protecting your pup paws. The supertraX mat is pressure activated so your dog will be able to easily grip into the mat simply by putting weight on it, providing sure-footing. Both types of mat are removable for easy cleaning.
FurHaven Steady Paws Pet Stairs help make it easy for small or aging dogs with joint and other health issues to climb safely up and down to their favorite spot. The steps are plush covered, providing a gentle surface that is soft on their paws to reduce pain while climbing.
Choose between 4-step or 3-step stairs to fit your pub’s needs. The 3-step stairs are perfect for chairs or couches reaching a height of 22″. The 4-step stairs are ideals for beds or tall sofas reaching a height of 29″. Available in 3 colors – brown, cream, and gray. Wherever your pooch loves to be, help them get there safely and comfortably.
Majestic Pet stairs are suitable for any sized pets that need a little boost to get on beds, sofas, chairs, etc. Its lightweight design allows for easy portability to any room. Ideal dog steps for senior, arthritic or recovering dog. The pet step cushion will reduce the risk of injury in the case of weak legs or bones.
Give your pet back their independence and allow them to easily access couches, beds, and hard to reach spaces that they struggle to climb.