Best Multivitamins and Supplements for Senior Dogs
Senior Dog Vitamins & Supplements
Do you need to feed your older dog with multivitamins and supplements? The answer is yes as having specific nutrients are extremely important for senior dogs. Our furry companion needs additional care as they aged. As they get older they are prone to degenerative diseases that are more likely to affect them. Some of the common issues are:
- Eye or Vision impairment – As dogs gets older, degeneration in the eyes can cause varying degrees of vision loss or even blindness in older dogs. As nothing can be done to reverse blindness due to a dog’s old age, it is good to give supplements to improve their eyesight as part of your dog’s vision care.
- Teeth problems – Older dogs tend to have teeth problems including plaque, tartar, or gum disease. Brushing regularly will help but at times a dental clean, tartar removal and tooth extractions will be be needed.
- Joint pain and stiffness – Arthritis is common in senior dogs whereby hips, elbows and knees are most affected. As dogs grow older, they are more susceptible to getting joint stiffness, often linked to ‘wear and tear’ on the joints. Osteoarthritis is the condition in which the cartilage slowly degenerate and joints becoming increasing stiff, losing their range of motion. Two of the main causes of osteoarthritis are excessive exercise and extra weight. As such, it is good to slim down your dog, if she weighs more than she should. In addition, senior and older dogs should take joint supplements with glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM that will help alleviating the symptoms. These ingredients will improve their mobility, joint flexibility and joint health.
- Mental Agility – Deterioration of mental and cognitive abilities is also present with senior dogs. In some cases, the dog may not be able to recognise familiar people. An aging dog might not be well at night and become distressed instead. As such, do provide your dog with foods or dog supplements that is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids which has shown positive results in reversing and slowing down the effect of brain aging.
- Heart disease – Older dogs due to aging are are prone to heart disease or heart failure. Coughing and not being able to exercise are signs of this issue. As such, taking supplements that can improve cardiac health is recommended.
- Bladder control or Incontinence. With aging muscles, older dogs can suffer from urinary tract issues which can lead to poor bladder control.
Other concerns as dogs grow older, include the degeneration of their kidney and liver functions too. Antioxidants such as Vitamins C and E can help here to protect the vital organs function.
Looking at the health demands of senior dogs, it will be useful to complement your senior dog normal diet with vitamins and supplements that are specially formulated to enhance their overall health.
Your dog’s twilight years should be some of its happiest as most has said. These senior dog supplements with the specially formulated amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants for senior dogs will provide the extra care needed for them, thereby enhancing their overall health.
We have selected some of the best vitamins & supplements for senior dogs below for your consideration and selection.
Table of Contents
Best Vitamins & Supplements For Senior Dogs
If you want good recommendation on senior dog supplements and vitamins for older dogs, check out the following:
Zesty Paws Senior Multivitamin Bites
- 8 in 1 balanced blend of vitamins, minerals and nutrients for Senior dogs
- Hip & joint support from glucosamine and chondroitin
- Digestive system support
- Heart and cognition support from CoQ10 and vitamins
- Skin & coat health support
- Eye support from Lutein
- 90 chewables
- Made in USA
Nutri-Vet Senior-Vite Chewables
- Vitamins, minerals and antioxidants formulated to optimize physical and mental health for senior dogs
- Cardiac, brain, skin, immune functions support with choline, inositol, vitamins and minerals
- 120 tasty liver flavoured chewable per bottle
- Veterinarian formulated
- Made in USA
Waggedy Daily Essentials Senior
- Multivitamins for senior dogs’
- Formulated to promote healthier skin and coat
- Improve joint health, muscle growth, strengthen immune and digestive system and overall health.
- Suitable for small to large dogs in their older age
- Vet approved formula
- 60 soft chews.
- Made in USA
Specifically formulated for older dogs (6+ years)
Keep your senior dog healthy & active addressing vision & organ deterioration, joint problems, energy loss and skin issues
PetHonesty’s Senior 10-in-1 Multivitamin Chews contain powerful, natural ingredients like Probiotics, Glucosamine, Fish Oil, Pumpkin, Organic Mushrooms and a variety of vitamins and minerals that help support your senior dogs organs, digestion, joints, energy levels, vision and overall daily health!
There’s no reason your dog has to age with health issues , pain, and a decreased quality of life! With just one tasty treat a day, you can prevent and treat your dog’s health issues while helping them live a high quality, healthy and happy life as they age.
- Healthier, shinier skin and coat
- Improve vision
- Increase energy
- Reduce joint inflammation, improve flexibility and mobility in old stiff joints with high amounts of glucosamine and other joint support ingredients
- Improves digestion & nutrient absorption while combatting diarrhea, vomiting and stomach issues with 1 BILLION PROBIOTICS
- Boost immune system, improve circulation and keep heart strong and healthy with a blend of with vitamins A, C and D3, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- 100% All Natural Ingredients, GMO Free & Zero Chemicals, Steroids, Wheat, Corn, Soy, Diary, Artificial Flavouring, Preservatives
- Made in the USA at GMP certified & FDA approved facility
Hip & Joint Supplements for Senior Dogs - with Hemp Oil & Hemp Powder, Glucosamine, Collagen, MSM, Green Lipped Mussel
Delicious Chews For Mobility & Maximum Hip & Joint Health
- Improve arthritic symptoms and reduce joint pain and inflammation
- Builds stronger bones and new cartilage
- Relieve stiff joints & enhance joint flexibility with collagen
- Creates healthy nails, coat and skin
- Increases overall activity and mobility in older dogs
- 100% All Natural Ingredients, GMO Free & Zero Chemicals, Wheat, Or Other Bad Stuff
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed – or your money back!
- Made in USA
We would love our dogs to live long and healthy lives. As our dog gets older, it is therefore important to keep an eye out for common senior dog health conditions as mentioned above. Feeding them with senior dog supplements and vitamins when necessary can help to boost their energy and improve their immune system, providing them with better health and extend their longevity.
Senior Dog Care FAQs
There is no universal classification for senior dogs. It all depends on the type of dog breed as well as the dog’s body weight. Generally, large dog breeds usually age faster compared to smaller breeds. In addition to that, dogs that are obese or overweight tend to quickly age than their lean counterparts.
We can say that a dog is senior if it has reached half of its life expectancy. At around 6 years, larger dogs are considered seniors because they normally have a life expectancy of 12 to 15 years. Meanwhile, smaller dog breeds are considered seniors at around 8-9 years because they have a life expectancy of 15 to 20 years.
Senior dogs develop the same health problems as older people. The most common ones include:
- Heart disease
- Urinary tract disease
Old age in dogs usually comes with the bone and joint health problems. It’s not unusual to find a senior dog suffering from arthritis and related joint aches. To handle this issue and significantly reduce its severity, we recommend supplements for senior dog such as glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate and switching to dog food with glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. Joint supplements are especially helpful if they are senior and of large breed. A daily or regular dose of the joint supplements will help increase your dog’s energy levels and improve their mobility and ease joint discomforts.
As the dog starts to grow older, its rate of metabolism will also start to slow down. Physical signs of aging in dogs include:
- Change in behavior
- Hearing loss
- Mental confusion
- Constant weakness and fatigue
- Incontinence among others
Health complications are the main reason why senior dogs have poor eating habits. Most of them usually have a loss of appetite because of gastrointestinal issues that cause nausea and pain. Sometimes, the pain might make it impossible to move the jaws. Consider feeding your dog some probiotics to support the restoration of your dog’s digestive tract and health.
To stimulate your dog’s appetite, you can decide to cook home-based meals or have freshly cooked Ollie meals delivered to your door.
Well, eventually you have to implement a new diet plan for your pet. This is because the dog’s physical and mental wellbeing starts to decline. For instance, you might be forced to start buying specific senior large breed dog foods which are fortified with essential nutritional requirements for dogs at the older stage. A low-sodium diet may be great for dogs dealing with hypertension or kidney issues.