Diabetic Dog Food
Diabetic Dog Food
Diabetes in Dogs
This can be a serious condition in dogs. When this happen, glucose in the dog’s body is unable to be used effectively.
The 2 common types of diabetes in dogs are:
- Type I diabetes
- Type II diabetes
For these two types of diabetes although there is no cure, dogs with either type can be successfully managed through nutrition, exercise, and if necessary, regular insulin medication. With the right dog food and advice from your veterinarian, your diabetic dog can still enjoy a happy, active life.
What causes diabetes?
Factors that increase the chances of dogs developing diabetes include:
- Body weight – obese or overweight dogs has a higher chance of getting diabetes
- Breed – some breeds such as miniature poodles, miniature schnauzers are more prone to diabetes
- Gender – Female dogs are more susceptible to diabetes
- Age – Older dogs are more prone to getting this.
Symptoms of diabetes
Some of the more common signs of diabetes includes:
- Increased urination
- Unexpected weight loss
- Appetite changes
- Unexplained fatigue
- Chronic skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
As there is no cure for diabetes, it is important to manage this life long condition through specific dog food that provides nutrients that a diabetic dog requires.
Dog Food for Diabetic Dogs
For dog with diabetes, vets do recommend a higher protein, higher fibre, and lower carbohydrate diet.
- Higher Protein – this helps promote weight loss while helping to maintain lean body mass.
- Higher Fiber – is essential to reduce the rate at which glucose is released into the blood stream. Fiber also allows dogs to feel full for longer with their food. Other benefits are: Fiber helps keep the dog’s bowel well-regulated, that way this will reduce having bloating or constipation issues. It also enhances their immune system and stabilizes blood sugar levels. In addition, fiber is an excellent nutrient and helps with weight management. There is now convincing evidence on the role of fiber not just in gut health but also in lowering your dog’s risk in developing diseases such as diabetes.
- Lower carbohydrates – is important as this will help to prevent blood sugar spikes which is important when looking after a diabetic dog.
Also, similar to humans, when dogs have diabetes and is also obese, it is even more important to stay trim – as such a lower fat diet is also needed.
The above diet considerations will assist your dog to manage his diabetic condition better.
Top 10 Best Diabetic Dog Food
We have evaluated top rated dog food brands that is good for managing diabetes below. They include Royal Cavin, Hill’s Prescription Diet, Purina, Wellness, Nutro, Diamond Naturals, Annamaet, Merrick, Dr Harvey’s. Here is our review and recommendation for your consideration.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat Digestive Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food is a veterinary diet specially formulated by Hill’s nutritionists and veterinarians to support your dog’s weight management
- This kibble helps manage glucose and weight, and improves digestion
- Therapeutic L-carnitine levels helps metabolize fat and maintain lean muscle
- Optimal blend of soluble and insoluble fiber, along with low fat and calories helps maintain healthy weight
- Natural ingredients reduce magnesium and sodium promotes a healthy urinary tract health.
- Crude Fiber: 14% max
- Crude Fat: 14% max
- Crude Protein: 28% min
- HEALTHY WEIGHT CONTROL: Has 20% less Fat for healthy weight management. Is made with L-carnitine to help your adult dog achieve and maintain an ideal weight, and enriched fiber to help your dog feel fuller longer
- HIGH-QUALITY CHICKEN: Formulated with wholesome ingredients including fruits and vegetables to help manage your adult dog’s weight control, naturally
- ONLY WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: BLUE True Solutions is a science based dog food with NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals and NO corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Crude Fiber: 5% max
- Crude Fat: 10% min
- Crude Protein: 32% min
- Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Healthy Weight Recipe, 22.0 lb Bag
- Real deboned beef is the first ingredient
- Optimal Protein and Fiber – This dog food has 55% protein and healthy fat ingredients, and 45% produce, fiber, vitamins, minerals and other natural ingredients
- With 80% of protein from animal sources, Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Healthy Weight Recipe offers the ideal combination of protein, fiber and healthy fats to help a dog maintain optimal weight and increased energy.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin included to help maintain healthy hips and joints, while the omega fatty acids support healthy skin and shiny coat for your dog.
- Paradigm’s 3 pound bag conveniently makes 28, one pound finished meals for your canine companion, quantity of meals depend on the weight of your dog
- Green food pre-mix makes an ideal base for a nutritionally complete low-carb diet; 100% grain-free, our holistic blend of six (6) nutritious dehydrated vegetables contain absolutely no dies, fillers, wheat, corn, soy, nor preservatives
- Easy to prepare a fresh, wholesome meal for your dog in a matter of minutes; just add hot water to the base mix, your choice of protein and oil, and you’re ready to serve your dog
- Ideal for weight management, diabetes support, and allergies support as well as host of other health conditions; Formulated with low glycemic vegetables which digest slowly to prevent glucose spike levels and low carbs for an optimal ketogenic diet
- Proudly made in the USA.