Vet Recommended Dog Food
Best Vet Recommended Dog Food
Dog owners like to ask what is the best vet recommended dog food. However, what is more important is to ask your veterinarian for the most suitable dog based on your dog needs. Other than the common types of dog food, your vet will recommend dog food for specific health or medical conditions of the dog.
Types of Vet Recommended Dog Food
When you see your dog with specific condition such as itchy skin, or is overweight you can reach for a suitable vet recommended dog food. Below are some of the more commonly types of dog food that vet do recommend for:
- Dry dog food
- Wet dog food or Canned dog food
- Senior dog food
- Grain free dog food
- Sensitive stomach dog food
- Small dog food
- Sport dog food
- Large breed
- Hypoallergenic dog food
- Joint problems
- Weight loss or overweight
What Makes Dog food Vet Recommended?
Key considerations for these dog food would includes:
- Reputation and operating principles of Dog Food Company – Firms with strong reputation provides better value in terms of their products and services. As such, you want to seek for dog food that are from these organisations.
- The Association of American Feed Control Officials’ (AAFCO) – This is a private non-profit corporation with members are charged by their local, state or federal laws to regulate the sale and distribution of animal feeds and animal drug remedies. It also has a process for defining ingredients used in animal feed and pet food. Therefore, dog food meeting this organization requirements are good for your dog’s nutrition, as it indicates that the dog food is consider ‘Complete and Balanced’.
- Food and Drug Administration’ (FDA) – This organization regulates the manufacture of cat food, dog food, and dog treats or snacks. Importantly, FDA ensures that the ingredients used in pet food are safe and have an appropriate function in the pet food.
Vet Recommended Dog Food Brands
While there is no comprehensive list available, here are the top vet recommended dog food brands which includes HILL’S SCIENCE DIET, ORIJEN, PURINA ONE, DIAMOND NATURALS, PURINA PROPLAN, MERRICK, HILL’S PRESCRIPTION DIET.
Vet Recommended Dog Food
Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Sorghum, Soybean Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Pork Fat, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Lactic Acid, Pork Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Dried Grape Pomace, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Citrus Pulp, Iodized Salt, Oat Fiber, Choline Chloride, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
Deboned chicken, deboned turkey, atlantic flounder, whole eggs, whole atlantic mackerel, chicken liver, turkey liver, chicken heart, turkey heart, whole atlantic herring, dehydrated chicken, whole carrots, whole apples, whole pears, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, others, Vitamins and Minerals.
Whole Grain Wheat, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Oats, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Pork Flavor, Lactic Acid, Soybean Oil, Caramel Color, Flaxseed, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat Digestive Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food – is a veterinary diet formulated to support your dog’s weight management
- Clinical Nutrition Formulation – manage blood glucose and improves digestion
- Therapeutic L-carnitine levels – helps metabolize fat and maintain lean muscle
- Soluble and Insoluble Fiber Mix – along with low fat and calories helps maintain healthy weight
- Balanced minerals – reduce magnesium and sodium to promote a healthy urinary tract health.
- 27.5 lbs bag.
Lamb Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Grain Sorghum, Dried Yeast, Rice Bran, Egg Product, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Chicory Root, L-Carnitine, Kale, Chia Seed, Pumpkin, Blueberries, Oranges, Quinoa, Dried Kelp, Coconut, Spinach, Carrots, Papaya, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Diamond Naturals Premium Large Breed Formulas Dry Dog Food for Adult Dogs – with Real Meat Protein, Superfoods, Probiotics and Antioxidants
- High Quality Protein – with real pasture raised lamb tailored for a large breed dog with optimal amino acids for lean and strong muscles.
- Antioxidants – support overall health.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids – for skin and coat.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin – for your dog’s joint health.
- Probiotics – to support digestive health.
- No corn, wheat, filler
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- 40 lbs bag.
Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Flaxseed, Soybean Mill Run, Brewers Rice, Soybean Meal, Pork Fat, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet j/d Joint Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food
- Clinically Proven – to improve your dog’s ability to run, walk and jump in 21 days
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate – provides joint care and preserve joint cartilage
- L-carnitine – helps maintain a healthy weight avoiding extra stress on joints
- Antioxidants – support a healthy immune system.
- 27.5 lbs bag.
Chicken, Brewer’s Rice, Poultry By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Germ Meal, Brewer’s Dried Yeast, Fish Meal, Animal Digest, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Purina Pro Plan Dry Puppy Food – Chicken & Rice Formula
- High Quality Protein – with real chicken as the first ingredient.
- DHA from Omega-Rich Fish Oil – helps to nourish his brain and vision development
- Antioxidant Rich – support a puppy’s developing immune system.
- Calcium and Minerals – help build strong teeth and bones.
- 34 lbs bag.
Deboned Beef, Lamb Meal, Salmon Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Peas, Potato Protein, Whitefish Meal, Pea Protein, Sunflower Oil, Beef Liver, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Salmon Oil, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe
- Real Deboned Beef – is the first ingredient with 65% protein.
- Ideal Combination Of Protein, Healthy Fats, and 35% fiber – to help your dog maintain optimal weight and increased energy.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin – help support healthy hips and joints
- High Levels of Omega Fatty Acids – support healthy skin and shiny coat
- 22 lbs bag.
Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken Meal, Pea Protein, Egg Product, Pork Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Lactic Acid, Pork Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet i/d Digestive Care Small Bites Dry Dog Food is a veterinary diet specially formulated by Hill’s veterinarians to support your small dog’s digestive health
- Sensitive Stomach Dog Food – help settle digestive upsets in small breed dogs or dogs that need a smaller kibble
- Highly Digestible – with a good balance of fibers that helps improve digestion and stool quality
- B vitamins and Electrolytes – help replace lost nutrients from upset stomach.
- 27.5 lbs bag.
Beef, Chicken, Beef Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs, Brown Rice, Oat Meal, Carrots, Spinach, Egg Product, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct Adult Canned Wet Dog Food – with Beef & Wild Caught Salmon Adult Wet Dog Food
- Protein Rich – with real beef as the #1 Ingredient to support your dog’s needs to run and play.
- Nutrient Dense Formula – to support your dog’s muscles, energy and joint health.
- Antioxidants – help support for healthy immune system
- Omega Fatty Acids – help support healthy skin and coat
- Twelve (12) cans and each can is 13 Oz.
Water, Chicken, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Corn, Pork Liver, Dried Whey, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food, Adult 7+ for Senior Dogs
- Real chicken – as high quality protein to help your senior dog build and maintain lean muscle
- Easy To Digest Ingredients.
- Antioxidants, Vitamin C and E – to help support immunity.
- Balanced amount of minerals – promote kidney and heart health.
- 12 cans, each can is 13 oz.
Water, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Corn Starch, Powdered Cellulose, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d Original Skin/Food Sensitivities Canned Dog Food
- Vet Recommended Dog Food – formulated to support your dog’s skin and food sensitivities.
- Enriched with Fatty Acids – help to maintain a healthy skin barrier
- Clinically proven antioxidants – added for optimal health benefit
- 12 cans, each can is 13 oz.
Water Sufficient For Processing, Pork Liver, Brewers Rice Flour, Corn Grits, Corn Meal, Pork Plasma, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Taurine, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Low Fat Canned Dog Food,
- Vet Recommended Dog Food for long or short term digestive sensitivities.
- Highly digestible proteins and prebiotics – promotes digestive health and optimal stool quality.
- Low Fat Content – for dogs that have difficulties digesting or tolerating fat.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – with EPA and DHA to help manage GI health
- 24 cans, each can is 13.6 oz.
Water, Pork Liver, Rice, Carrots, Corn Starch, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Egg Whites, Flaxseed, Powdered Cellulose, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Alginate, Calcium Chloride, Fish Oil, Ginger, Potassium Citrate, Guar Gum, Others, Vitamins and Minerals.
- HILL’S Prescription Diet i/d Digestive Care Low Fat Canned Dog Food
- Improves digestion and ensures easy nutrient absorption and promotes beneficial microflora
- Reduces the risk of urinary stone formation while supporting a healthy immune system
- Highly digestible and low in fat and enriched with prebiotic fiber and ginger
- Contains high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids and fortified with controlled minerals
- 12 cans, each can is 12.5 oz.