Urinary Dog Food
Urinary Care Dog Food
Urinary dog food works on minimising the formation of bladder stones which are collections of mineral crystals that combine together in the urinary tract. In medical terms, these bladder stones are known as uroliths. Uroliths can develop in the kidney, badder, or urethra. Urolithiasis is the term that refers to stones located anywhere within the urinary tract.
Dogs need the correct balance of minerals in order to have good bladder health. When a dog’s urine gets too concentrated, minerals can form crystals that lead to painful bladder stones. These stones cause much discomfort and more serious conditions of bloody urine and even life-threatening obstruction can happen.
Bladder stones are common in dogs, with struvite stones and calcium oxalate stones are the two most common found. In clinical studies, both struvite and calcium oxalate uroliths have been found to comprise over 85% of all uroliths.
Struvite stones are formed as a result of urine that’s saturated with protein, phosphorus and magnesium combined with an improper urine pH. Calcium oxalate stones are form when urine is supersaturated with calcium and oxalate.
Some dog breeds like Dalmatians, Yorkshire terriers, Bulldogs and others are genetically prone to bladder stones because of difficulties breaking down purines found in dog foods.
For dogs, struvite and calcium oxalate crystals can lead to urinary tract disease.
Urinary Diet for Dogs for Treatment
Urinary care dog food are developed to support your dog’s urinary tract and bladder health. You will need to know the type of stones or crystals in order to provide the urinary diet for your dog.
As struvite and calcium oxalate stones are most common, the diet formulation should promote a urinary environment unfavorable to the formation of both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals. The ingredients mix could includes:
- Boosted sodium and moisture content to increase urine volume, diluting the minerals that contribute to urinary stone formation
- Lowered magnesium and calcium to help prevent formation of these uroliths
- Added omega-3 fatty acids to reduce swelling and support your dog’s kidneys
- Ingredients to disolve existing struvite uroliths in your dog’s urinary system.
With urinary care dog food, it is also recommended to encourage your dog to drink more water, which increases the urine volume. This rinses its bladder and dilutes the urine thereby minimizing the formation of the crystals or stones.
In addition, some research has suggests that probiotics at high dosages (daily 5 billion CFU) or more may also be helpful in preventing chronic bladder issues.
Top-Rated Urinary Dog Food
Best Urinary Dog Food
We have evaluated the top urinary care dog food and it include brands like ROYAL CANIN, HILL’S PRESCRIPTION, PURINA, BLUE BUFFALO. Here is our review and recommendation for your consideration.
- ROYAL CANIN Urinary SO Aging 7+ is a veterinary dry dog food to support urinary health in older dogs.
- Dissolve and prevent pure struvite stones and helps prevent calcium oxalate stones
- Reduce crystal formation using RSS methodology
- Nutrients and antioxidants promotes vitality and supports cognition and in senior dogs.
- Sizes available: 6.6 lb, 17.6 lb, 26.5 lb bag.
- PURINA Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR Urinary Dry Dog Food
- Urinary Dog Food – promotes a urinary environment unfavorable to the development of sterile struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
- Dissolve sterile struvite stones
- Reduce the recurrence of both sterile struvite and calcium oxalate stones.
- High quality protein with antioxidants.
- Sizes Available: 6 lb, 16.5 lb, 25 lb bag.
- BLUE BUFFALO Weight Management + Urinary Care for Dogs
- Weight Management with ideal levels of fat and calories. Has more fiber in dog food to keep your dog feel fuller and longer.
- Urinary Dog Food – provide urinary health support with controlled mineral levels.
- Grain Free
- Good for dogs at All Life Stages
- Delicious wholesome, natural diet for dogs
- Sizes Availables: 6 lb and 22 lb bag.
- HILL’S Prescription Diet w/d Multi-Benefit – Digestive, Weight, Glucose, Urinary Management Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food
- Weight Management with this low fat dog food. Has optimal blend of soluble and insoluble fiber, along with low fat and calories to help maintain healthy weight
- This kibble also helps to manage glucose and improves digestion
- Urinary Dog Food – support urinary tract health with natural ingredients that reduce magnesium and sodium.
- 27.5 lb bag.
- PURINA Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR Urinary Ox/St Wet Dog Food
- Reduce the development of both sterile struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
- Assist to dissolve sterile struvite stones
- Reduce recurrence of both sterile struvite and calcium oxalate stones.
- Canned diet increase dog food moisture, contributing to total water intake.
- 12 cans, each 13.3
- BLUE BUFFALO Natural Veterinary Diet Weight Management + Urinary Care Wet dog food
- Weight Management with ideal levels of fat and calories to help dogs. Has increased fiber to help dogs feel fuller for a longer time
- Urinary support provided by controlled mineral levels in dog food formulation.
- Dog food is made without the grains
- 12 cans, each 12.5 oz.